Thursday, December 18, 2008

95. Top 10 of 2008



#6. Protest The Hero - Fortress

#6. This is where things get monumental and albums are chosen based on over all merit. In hindsight, MGMT's Oracular Spectacular should have been further up on this list, perhaps even switched with Lindstrom. However, Where You Go I Go Too had more of an overall thesis rather than a collection of catchy hits. Certain albums are always in constant flux and will rise and fall. One album which has been permanently stuck at number #6 is space age metalcore giants, Protest The Hero. I downloaded this album after reading raving reviews from various sources and was not disappointed. It was late in January and for an entire weekend, my roommate and I played this album on repeat. At one point we noticed our albums were only a couple of seconds off from each other. My girlfriend came down for the weekend and walked into our apartment to this album in full stereo. I had that wide eyed stare; the stare I usually get when I have to tell everyone I know about an album. Protest The Hero is incredibly slick without sacrificing song structure or credibility. The perfect ratio of guitar prowess and ungodly vocal hooks makes Fortress a knockout.



Sequoia Throne from Fortress
(yes...their videos have always been lame)

1 comment:

Someone said...

That look is so cute too!