Tuesday, December 9, 2008

69. Goodbye Hootie And The Blowfish


1986-2008

When I was 14, Cracked Rear View came out much to my protest and disappointment. At the time i was searching for faster, heavier and more obscene music to fit my subversive suburban motif. Hootie And The Blowfish just did not fit with what I was going for because it was light, smooth and unoffensive. It was adult contemporary which trickled into the mainstream. It is alright it happens with every genre from time to time. Aside from "Hold My Hand" being used at every wedding reception from 1994-1996 and "let her cry" unexpecitly making the drunk post grad breakdown sobbing in his living room, the Blowfish's popularity slowly and steadily declined into the new century. Daruis Rucker broke to the news in an AOL exclusive that the band would be splitting so he could pursue a solo country career. Even with a band like this, i find it hard to come up with mean insults. Maybe that is the crux of writting memorials; only remembering the good times. It just makes me think of that summer before 10th grade. God that was a good time. Im so lonley.



No comments: