Friday, December 12, 2008

89. My First Album Of 2009

Andrew Bird - Noble Beast




Oh what a pleasant surprise to find that the new release from multi instrumentalist, which is suppose to come out January, was..somehow...misplaced in the office and ended up on the internet, today. Somewhere two men, after a traffic collision, accidentally switched briefcases and low and behold we are treated to Mr. Bird's new work; Noble Beast. If Andrew Bird is reading this, I swear to god I am going to buy your vinyl when it is released and whenever you are playing in DC, my girlfriend and I will see you play. Please do not hate me. Since his days as Andrew Bird's Bowl Of Fire, his music has been shifting from a gypsy jazz throwback to some strange concoction of indie rock and singer songwriter melancholy. I hate to use the two most over used terms in the history of music, but it is. Our music is like a rock explosion in the center of a pile of scrap metal. Noble Beast continues what was established on the previous two records; structured sadness which is somehow timeless but weathered. I am always reminded of the 1900's when listening to Andrew Bird. Maybe its the violin which reminds me of the "slow aire." Maybe it is because Andrew Bird is a magician who really died Fin De Siecle was the time in which you died and were reborn as a white wizard. Whatever the case, Noble Beast is a monumental statement in the very stale singer songwriter genre. Wow... an acoustic guitar and singing can sound good; and not boring like watching a guy play Wallflower covers at your local coffee shop. Andrew bird...can you possibly save this genre? Your cover art is amazing and is exactly what I think about when listening to your music. Thank you for giving me an album I can look forward to writing about in my "Best Albums of 2009."








No comments: