Friday, December 19, 2008

97. Top 10 of 2008



#4. The Bug - London Zoo

#4 and #3 in my list are unfair albums based around enjoyment for a particular genre. Not to say these two albums do not have individual merit, they do but because of their advantage I am sequestering them below the top two spots. This year I really got into Dubstep. Last year it was a fleeting interest, but this year it hit big. It was the hottest newcomer in my life. I'm not going to deny my interest in a fresh genre which is gaining strength among the underground. I'm not going to deny I feel 10 times cooler when listening to it. I listened to alot of Dubstep this year and still did not have time to keep up with the massive flux of new singles. While I listened to alot of singles this year I have kept very few songs. The problem with some to the majority of Dubstep is that it can be repetitive. Tracks are filled with wobbling bass and the same dark back beat which is amazing for the first minute but drags the last three. This is why I find The Bug's (aka Pressure) album, London Zoo so rewarding. Not only does The Bug have an unmatched backdrop but he has a rotating cast of grime singers to provide variation to each track. London Zoo is yet another milestone in the coolest genre you have never heard before. Below is one track from London Zoo, one amazing remix by the venerable Skream, one preview and an early track by The Bug. I tried using Lala but I couldn't get the track to play more than previews, so I had to wade through insanity with playlist.com.

Ridiculous copyrighted streaming music site + 1
Kaptain Carbon - 1

Oh Muxtape how I miss you.


No comments: