Tuesday, December 9, 2008

82. 2008 Awards


Most Disappointing Album From A Band I Used To Love


The Sword - Gods Of The Earth

It pains me to even write these words. Before everything the Sword, a stoner metal revival, was amazing. Before Guitar Hero was metal for suburban tweens. Before Metallica and the arena rock tour. Before everyone decided, as a collective, to hate stoner revivals...The Sword was awesome. Age of Winters perfectly encapsulated the look, sound and vision of fantasy driven doom metal. Gods Of The Earth did nothing else. The Sword did not loose what they had already achieved, they made the same album. There are a millions things they could have done to make this album "the best album of 2008." Long epics. Serial tracks. Seamless production. Concept driven lyrics. Elaborate artwork... nothing. Even subtle references to awesome fantasy elements (Maiden, Mother and Crone / The Frost Giant's Daughter) could not save the replicated nature of this album. It is so disheartening when popular bands do not heed my advice. I bought a black sword sweatshirt in Reading, PA when The Sword opened for Stoner party band, Clutch. Now my sword sweatshirt is grey after 2 years of constant adornment during the fall and spring seasons. I will still wear it despite everything that has gone down. It reminds me of that time when I saw them in reading. When they debuted their new song "under the boughs" and they promised a new album soon. "awesome," I thought...this will be amazing. Gods Of The Earth is not a bad album, it is a mediocre release from an amazing band. However, the songs just run in place rather than go anywhere. I wanted something grander. Something more alive. I'm not made at you Sword...I'm just disappointed.








No comments: