Sunday, December 14, 2008

90. My Second Album of 2009


Sepultura - A- Lex

Holy shit, its Sepultura and they look fucking pissed. Sepultura is a Brazilian groove metal outfit who have had numerous line up changes and reunions since their inception in 1984. A-Lex (released in January) has at least two of the original members. A-Lex is the second concept album by Sepultra since 2006. The first, Dante XXI, was based around the three books of Dantes Divine comedy. What? How in the world did I miss that album. It sounds like something I crafted in my head when I was in High School. Damn it. Following the critical success of Dante XXI is A-Lex, which is based on the Alexander Burgess masterpiece, A Clockwork Orange. Okay. Oh I get it. A-Lex...Alex. Why did it take me so long to get the pun This has to be a joke. This sounds like the second album I thought of during English class. The album is very straightforward and very reminiscent of Strapping Young Lad. Yep, everything is going according to plan...time to end the album..wait..no your not going to do it...no...it cant work...what are you doing...NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Because A Clockwork Orange tribute isn't complete without Beethoven, Sepultura has taken it upon them selves to "metal up" the second and fourth movement of The Ninth Symphony. (both were used in the film) This selection and arrangment would be good...if it wasn't so well...stupid. When I say stupid, I mean so hilariously pompous and out of place, I almost spit cereal out of my mouth while typing this review. Its true, I like a big bowl of Cap'n Crunch when I write about music. How did Yngwie Malmsteen get into the studio? Who gave him bolt cutters which granted him late night access? Who let him put a song on the album? Sitting at the end of the album is "Ludwig Van," a song which is so unlike anything on the album, I'm debating whether or not it makes it worse...or a million times better. Below is "We Lost You, " obviously describing the hopeless nature of Alex's criminal behavior from A-Lex. I couldn't find "Ludwig Van," but I'm sure we will hear more from this album in the future.



No comments: