Monday, December 8, 2008

58. Goodbye Phantom Planet


1994-2008

Why do I care that Phantom Planet has disbanded. It is not because they are an easy target for ridicule or their passing comes as a big raspberry from people who legitimately thought they were eaten by alligators. My reporting of this tragic story is directed at my brother, Epileptic Peat, who not only enjoys the one song they did, but was also a big fan of the hit television show The OC. I maybe wrong but I also think that George Force was really into this show. I specifically remember a year of my life spend rolling my eyes at their OC conversation when we went out to eat. This blog is not intended to drum up cheap jabs at anyone else for their television viewing. I myself am guilty of watching Survivor, Lost and the first season of Temptation Island. Why all of these shows fit into the island theme I do not know. What was goling on in the OC? really. I know a whole bunch of Indie rock bands were jumping on that show and then being named checked on the Gillmore Girls. Oh phantom Planet. You really cemented your name into one facet of American trivia. I know you tried really hard not to be that OC band but it never worked out. Even though your new album was suppose to be like the Wall...you opted for calling it quits instead. Well then I guess this is it. Thanks for not making that much of a mess. Well clean up after your gone. Goodbye Phantom Planet.


No comments: