Sunday, November 23, 2008

55. MGMT - Metanoia (2008)

So I am really trying to not to enjoy this band. Their song "Time To Pretend" has been used on every commercial I know and every Kevin Spacey movie about counting cards I can think of. But damn. They are catchy. I would be lying if I said their 2007/2008 LP Oracular Spectacular wasn't downright amazing and made me uneasy about my sexuality. I absolutely love glam rock and space opera in the vein of T. Rex, and early David Bowie, so to have a band directly revive the polished androgyny which makes science fiction seem sooo sexy will be looked upon, at least by me, with a positive attitude. Metanoia was released as a B-side on MGMT's single "Time to Pretend." After listening to "Time To Pretend" for the 200th time, I am convinced the song fits into the T. Rex paradigm: gigantic hit overshadowing vastly superior work. T. Rex's Bang A Gong, while enjoyable and coherent on Electric Warrior is merely one cog in a complex machine of strange sensations. If you compare "Bang It On" to singles from other T Rex records; you will find yourself how unfair this hypothetical situation is. Metanoia is by far the best work MGMT has done with a sound which reaches from organic psychedelia to the highest narcotic haze of space opera. There are progressions, choirs, slow electric solos and a strong urge to study magic and play the guitar.




MGMT - Metanoia


T. Rex - Ride A White Swan


David Bowie - Space Oddity (original video / alternate mix)

No comments: