Friday, November 14, 2008

49. Fennesz - Black Sea (2008)



Alright I understand the nature of ambient and noise. I am partial to the Dead Texan, Stars of the Lid and Aphex Twin and have done extensive research on mid 1970's minimalism in the visual Arts and by all accounts I should love this type of music. Its very clever. Its witty. The evolution of music. But for the most part, while being very ethereal and attractive intellectually; it is sometimes extremely boring. Sometimes or most of the time? I use my collection of ambient records as reading music and for particularly b ad hangovers. 98% of the time, when listening to ambient records, the volume is set to below normal. This is the nature of ambient records. Our experience with them is through low volume. There have been times where I tries to listen to my ambient records loud; like metal. It is interesting for awhile. One of the most disappointing ambient records I have listened to was Fennesz'z Endless Summer; after an amazing review done by pitchfork, I was extremely excited only to be greeted by whooshing and twittering noise. What the Fuck? Damn It! HaHa. Ive been pitchforked! (the comedic experience of being swindled into listening to a bullshit record by an alluring review on Pitchfork.) I think I still have that album somewhere on my computer. Fennesz takes his time when crafting albums. It has been 4 years since venice and almost 8 years since Endless Summer. Black Sea is the new album and fourth in the catalog for Austrian artist. To be honest, I understand the goal of Fennesz. Black Sea defiantly crafts a mood and feeling of a bleak November day. If I had this on vinyl, I would flaunt it at every party. Oh, well you wouldn't understand it. Damn look at that picture. I believe the artwork is the reason why I like ambient records;





I am dreaming of the day when I get the chance to work with an ambient artist on their album layout. Ill finally be able to to the wordless gatefold vinyl with 4 shades of blue. So enjoy Fennesz's new album or enjoy telling people you enjoy Fennesz's new album.






video for Caecilia from the endless summer LP. I still do not get it. I do not get why this video is credited with a director. Someone please make me cool

No comments: