Monday, January 5, 2009

Beyond 1990


I do not know what it was. It probably had something to do with the 100 albums reviews. I hate to say it, but 2009 means nothing to me. At least for now. I care little about what is about to happen and finding more interest in what I've missed. The first quarter of 2009 can wait while I revisit a special time. A time which I remember but have yet to experience. I have decided to only concern my attention to albums that were made from the period of 1985-1995. Specifically, amazing records which I missed becasue I was in my early teenage years, still watching MTV and scrambled late night soft core movies. This was a special time for music, or at least I have come to believe. Extreme optimism blanketed the end of the century, or at least I have come to believe. The economy was on the rise, or so we have learned. My current interest is focused on the early 90's but the scope has been expanded to include the late 80's. This inclusion is based on the assumption that what was created in the early 1990s was predicated and envisioned in the late 80's. So why albums from the early 90s? I have realize that as aesthetics mature, earlier points of interest may look very different. Living in a different body. Much of my experience with the early 90's is through fragmented memories and retrospective television programing. What of all the genuinely good things to come out, which have been somehow clouded by ridiculous fashions and classic movies. I wonder If things will be different this time around. Revisiting time periods is much like RPGs when a hero returns to an earlier dungeons with upgraded weapons. These albums are ones which I would appreciate If I was 19 during 1990 instead of 9, if I bought into the marketing existence of Generation X. 2009 can wait and any glorious achievement can be talked about during the spring. Maybe I long for things which have passed, or things which I couldn't possibly experience.

Cocteau Twins - heaven or las vegas
Pulp - different class
Girls against boys - venus luxury
Ministry - psalm 69
Nas - illimatic
Negativland - dispepsi
Orbital - green album / brown album
Pet shop boys - behavior
Sabres of paradise - haunted dancehall
The Smiths - meta is murder / queen is dead
Spiritualized - lazer guided melodies
Talk Talk - laughing stock
Teenage Fanclub - bandwagonesque.

No comments: