Thursday, January 22, 2009

2009 update

In my absolute abandonment of 2009; I find it hard to shut out every album which happens to be made this year. Sopecifically albums from bands I have already come to enjoy. So my abandoment of 2009 is not absolute. It was more dramatic than absolute.

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Animal Collectives ninth record has come with much fanfare and praise by..well...everyone. Some people are saying it is the best record of the decade. Really? Perhaps I am jumping on with everyone else because I missed out on the Kid-A train when it passed me sleeping in 2001. I do not even like Kid-A all that much but I would like to feel the way everyone else feels when they talk about the sheer brilliance of an album during the time It . I wonder if people felt this way when SGT. Pepper was released. Do people understand the magnitude of albums during the time or is it aquired over years of hindsight?I have always enjoyed animal collective and MPP returns to the underwater reverb of their earlier albums with traces of pop salvaged from Strawberry Jam. Best album of the decade? I would hate to miss out on an oppurtunity like this; so I agree.


Beruit - March of the Zapotec EP
Realpeople - Holland EP


The one man wonder, Zack Condon has released a double EP filled with 5-6 shorts songs each. The March of the Zapotec is Condon's Beruit combined with a funeral band from the remote villages of Mexico. The sound is very appropriate for Condon if not an unsuprising choice. I was always under the impression Beruit was backed by a mysterious band from an indegenous land. The Holland EP is ten times more suprising as it presents Beruits style of song in upbeat electronica. The electronica side is credited to "realpeople," a moniker used by Condon before the Beruit style took over. The EP's played back to back ends up being close to a short LP; which would constitue an album if it were not so experimental and light. These two EP's are the visual equivlent to intresting sketches; which sometime are more intriguing than finished products.


Various Artists - Dark Was The Night
A 44 track collection of exclusive tracks from venerable and popular indie rock artists benefiting Aids research. This album features some of the indie rock titans which have graced Pitchfork and other hip zines for the past 5 years. Long are the days of We are The World. 4ad will release a triple vinyl sometime in spring. So until the vinlyl is released and the official download is announced some of us will feel slightly bad for stealing a benift album.

No comments: